Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Southern hemisphere skies

jason.p

We're off to South Africa next week and I was wondering what I should have on my list of night sky objects. Can't take the scope and I'll only have a small pair of bins and naked eye. I'ts a trip of a lifetime and very much doubt that I'll get another chance, so I don't want to miss any opportunity to see anything I may never see again.

Thanks

Jason

I was in OZ in May a few years back, some of the stuff I spotted with bins should be of interest. My reports are here:

I had big bins along (cheap 15x70s). If you can get yourself a pair of 10x50s (don't have to be expensive) you could see a humongous load of stuff.

Have a good trip and clear skies!

I was in OZ in May a few years back, some of the stuff I spotted with bins should be of interest. My reports are here:

http://stargazerslou...dney-australia/

http://stargazerslou...ons-down-under/

http://stargazerslou...count-hits-108/

http://stargazerslou...ion-down-under/

I had big bins along (cheap 15x70s). If you can get yourself a pair of 10x50s (don't have to be expensive) you could see a humongous load of stuff.

Have a good trip and clear skies!

Many thanks for that Michael. The bins I'm taking are a fairly modest "travel" pair, but I'm sure I'll be able to find some of those on your lists. It will be nice to see some of the Southern constellations (assuming I don't take our clouds with me :shocked: )

Thanks again

Jason

What foxed me in the Southern Hemisphere for the first time was that Orion and all our friends around the ecliptic and celestial equator appear upside down compared to what we're used to here :eek:

Have a great trip!

Where are you going in S.A?

I have just (2012) returned from living in S.A.

I suggest that you look up the web site of the Astronomical Society of Southern Africa, go to the "CENTRES" list and contact the nearest club chairman. I am sure that they will only be too willing to bring their scopes out/take you to their observatory and show you the Southern showpieces. If you are going to any game reserves then many of them now have telescopes and astronomical programmes for their customers.

If you want more info on S.A. then I would be happy to help.

Nigel

Where are you going in S.A?

I have just (2012) returned from living in S.A.

I suggest that you look up the web site of the Astronomical Society of Southern Africa, go to the "CENTRES" list and contact the nearest club chairman. I am sure that they will only be too willing to bring their scopes out/take you to their observatory and show you the Southern showpieces. If you are going to any game reserves then many of them now have telescopes and astronomical programmes for their customers.

If you want more info on S.A. then I would be happy to help.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel,

We're starting off in Johannesburg and doing a bit of a tour taking in the Kreuger Nat Park, Zwaziland and ending up in Capetown. I don't think I'll get a chance to contact any clubs etc, but I'll certainly have my eyes on the sky. Is the large Magellanic cloud visible at this time of year? Micheal has given me quite a list of objects he saw in Australia. I'm particularly interested in naked eye or "small binocular" objects.

Thanks again

Jason

The Magellanic Clouds should be naked eye visible from a dark place, they're highest right after dark at this time of year and sink as the night progresses. When I saw them from Australia, I couldn't quite believe my eyes with the size of the LMC in particular :eek:

With a pair of travel bins, you might want to try picking off clusters Omega Centauri (large, bright, high up after dark) and 47 Tucanae (lower but also bright). Good luck!

O.K.

Johannesburg is fairly light polluted so only the brighter objects will be visible. Omega Cen is a naked eye object in dark skies and can easily be seen with bins from Jo'burg. Also easy from there is NGC 4755 aka "The Jewel Box" as it has a nice red star in the cluster and it is easy to locate being just off the Southern Cross. BTW, there are three "Crosses" that often get confused, I have grabbed a screenshot from "Stellarium" and identified them:

Nigelpost-7974-0-41584300-1365236918_thumb.jp

The best viewing will be from the Kruger, little light pollution there although lights in the camps can be a nuisance. The LMC will be easy and the SMC should be visible but low. 47 Tuc is on the boundary of the SMC.

Cape Town is also a bit light polluted but a trip to the south should give better views, particularly the SMC as it will be a bit higher from there.

Enjoy

Archived