Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another PANSTARRS thread

Having seen the comet last night through the 20 x 80 bins I managed to have a look tonight through the dob from my back garden. Sounds a lot easier than last nights grab n go affair in the darkness surrounding the local duck pond. However, to see the comet in the garden I had to get right up against the bottom fence with the dob on a coffee table. All well worth it though, as the comet looked a lot more impressive tonight. The tail was particularly impressive, long and rather fanned. Can't wait for the close encounter with M31 later this week.

Dave.

Tonight was my first time at seeing the comet through my bins, and to be perfectly honest wasn't expecting to see it at all. Was really amazed at what I saw, the tail was a lot more fanned than I ever imagined to see. Sorry, can tell I'm still new at this! :grin:

I've got a west facing loft window and found it yesterday with the bins. I then replaced the bins on the tripod with the Canon 10D, checked I could still see it with a quick snap (saw something faint & fuzzy and figured it was still aligned so I set the timer remote to snap away for a while. Sat down later to review the photos and realised in switching from the bins and realigning I'd moved over and found a different fuzzy: M31 and had taken a bunch of snaps of that. DOH!

Well there's plenty more time. In a few days they should be close enough to be in the frame at the same time. I have enjoyed the struggle to finally see PANSTARRS, and am looking forward to ISON later in the year.

Dave.

Archived