Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Advice on LX90 Screw lengths.

barkis

Now then, all the Meade LX90/200 owners. I suppose this info. I seek is available on Jan's LX website, but I will as here anyway.

I have reached the point where I have mounted my scope on it's pier in my now completed Obsy.

Now I have to make my rail. to run from ring to ring the length of the scope tube. The rail will need a plate for which I have just received a 400x100x6mm plate, from which I shall machine the dovetail to suit the Losmandy 108mm rings I bought a while back.

A similar arrangement will be diametrically opposed to carry a 3D counterweight system.

I tentatively removed one of the larger Allen socketed screws from one of the scope end rings (The correcter end) and was alarmed at the limited amount of penetration into the ring, before it butts up against either a blind hole, or part of the correcter plate.

I shall have a bridge bracket spanning the pairs of holes, back and front and opposites too, to support the rails.

My question to the experienced on these scopes is. Is the depth of penetration of the new screws which will have to be employed to take the extra distance involved, be enough to be considered safe to support the weight of an ED80 inclusive of brackets, and also the other assembly on the other side for the counterweight assy.

My estimation of the amount of screw depth, seems to be about .375 inches.

This is a bit long winded, so I hope I haven't drowned the important questions in too much rhetoric.

Thanks guys.

Ron. :D

Lo Ron

In a word yes. I have the Losmandy plate on top to mount a frac and it is fitted using two bolts front and back to mount the blocks then the plate is fitted with another four bolts to the blocks. :D

Thanks for the reply MP. I was just a bit worried about how shallow the screw holes are in the Meade LX90, but hey, ther seems to be quite a number of owners who have guide scopes piggied on top, and secured by the sa,me method you use yourself, so I think I will stop fretting about it, and get on and do it.

Thanks again mate.

Ron. :D

Archived