Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Collimation screws for Orion SkyQuest XT 10

Hi everyone.

I have a Orion SkyQuest XT 10 Newtonian which is fantastic but I would like to do DSLR photography with it but I am unable to reach primary focus even with a low profile focus devise. I am however very close. I am within 1-2 mm. The next thing I would like to try is moving the primary mirror in but I have maxed that out and would like to find some longer screws both lock and adjusting screws. I think I only need to move it in a centimeter or two at the most. Does anyone know where I might find some other then searching out hardware stores? I have tried "Bob's Knobs" online but they do not offer screws for the Orion SkyQuest XT 10 (they say they are to close together). My concerns are:

1. Would I need to replace the springs also?

2.Do the screws have special threading

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks Victor

Hi Victor.

Q1- How well does collimation hold with the stock springs ? If there are no issues, you could use them again. If you do replace, you could get stiffer or longer ones. It's surprising how stiff the springs need to be to hold collimation well, if you can compress them by hand, look for much stiffer ones. If the stock springs are not long enough to use with longer bolts, you could use packing pieces or a short 'stack' of washers around each bolt.

Q2- I'd be very surprised indeed if the threads are not standard metric, as the scopes come from the far east and they would be unlikely to use anything other than easy to get (therefore less expensive) bolts.

HTH & Regards, Ed.

Get some threaded rod, same diamter as your bolts. Mount a wingnut on one side securely and cut threaded rod to desired length. Can do the same for the locking bolts too. Have the same dob as you and same fousing issues. Agena astro does sell a lower profile 1.25" eyepiece holder that drops down in your drawtube a bit. Msy be just enough for you.

Archived