Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A Rakes Progress

Cloudwatcher

A nice clear night last night but some very strong gusts of wind were rattling the eaves so I decided not to set up a scope but to use binoculars instead. Tucked myself in a corner of the patio between the house and the fence and enjoyed some wonderful views.

I got to thinking,as one does,that one of them there monopod thingies would be nice at times like these. The image of Andrew's Avatar,you know the one, where he's framed in the doorway using binos,crossed my mind.

Anyway,I had a sudden flash of inspiration! I can do that,just need a bit of improvisation. Fumbled around in a dark shed until I located the garden rake (funny how all the handles seem to feel the same in the dark) then indoors to collect one of the dog's big towels. Wrapped this around the business end with a smaller towel underneath,the whole secured to the shaft with a length of twine. Five minutes work (plus a couple of knocks to the head whilst in the shed) and there it was a homegrown monopod! :D

This particular rake has one of those flexible plastic bits with a hole in it on the end of the handle and this fitted just fine in a gap between flag stones and all I had to do was move my chair to a suitable distance, rest the binos on top and ...Voila!...the best and steadiest views I've had through binoculars and no aching arms! :D

Only down side is I might be in trouble when the missus finds a couple of towels and a rake aren't where they should be! :D

Cheers

CW

I usually rest my binos on the end of the handle of a tool, be it rake, broom, or shovel. I was looking at monopods on ebay, and they are not too expensive. That may be a good way of supporting my little Mak. I've tried handholding it, and it's a bit shaky, even at 30x, its lowest.

I usually rest my binos on the end of the handle of a tool, be it rake, broom, or shovel. I was looking at monopods on ebay, and they are not too expensive. That may be a good way of supporting my little Mak. I've tried handholding it, and it's a bit shaky, even at 30x, its lowest.

Makes you think dont it :D

Archived