Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stratus 35mm

Hi all

As you may know, I now have a Hyperion (which are Orion Stratus clones, which are Vixen LVW clones) set but these only hit 24mm tops and I really need something a bit wider. I've had all the Televues like 35 pan and 31 Nagler but was actually a bit let down with fieldstops and black spots so have had to make do with the widest that I had - which up until a week or so was the 20mm KK type III. This was fine for the big dob but now I have the VC200L and the little 4" apo is back on line I really do need something special. Anyway, whilst wandering around Astromart yesterday (as you do :D ) I came across an Orion Stratus 35mm 2" for sale at a reasonable price and the *only* proper review I've seen compares it favourably to the 35mm Pan but with out the blacklining (which is fine with me!) and states it is suited to fast newts (which is also fine with me!).

So then - does anyone have any experience of this eyepiece at all? Orion withdrew them after a year on the market due to the cost of production being too high for projected market costs and brought out a smaller, cheaper, less impressively-spec'd beastie.

Arthur

The Stratus don't have the 2" safety undercut like the Hyperions have, they are pretty unstable when used this way in Newts (or in any scope at an angle). I also think the Hyperions are threaded for cameras etc where the Stratuseses are not.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone got a 24mm Hyperion yet? 'Cos if you have you will realise just what a beast this 35mm is! It's 35mm Panoptic size but I think maybe a little taller. Here's a couple of pics, first with the rest of the Hyperions and then just with the 24mm... kitchen scales say 2lb 9oz :shock:

Looks like it's going to be a nice EP to use - here's looking forward to tonight!

Arthur

PS - £33 total import duties :shock: Bl**dy mercenaries :(

You shouldnt have been stung Arthur.. I think eyepieces come under secondhand photo/optical goods on which there is no duty payable if over 6 months old. (assuming it was secondhand of course)

I always get anyone sending me stuff from abroad to clearly mark it as that on the customs declaration and havent had any issues yet (cross's fingers over planned eyepiece purchase)

Archived