Advice for a first timer?

Hi,

I am looking for advice on star gazing for my 8 year old daughter, she has shown interest in looking at the stars (whats that? answered by Google sky maps) but frankly everything I have looked at is either to in depth or far to simple.

I am looking for where to look in the sky, how to find constilations and when things are visable with the naked eye.

I am hoping this turns into an interest for her but (as she is 8) I am aware she may give up at any stage so I am unwilling to spend much at this point.

I am happy to buy her a book or decent dvd, or better yet a site that gives the same info, but till she has continued an interest for a few months I am unwilling to go further.

I did look to see if anyone else had asked the same but couldnt find it, appologies if this has been answered before.

A simple planisphere like this one ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Planisphere-Latitude-51-5-North/dp/1849071888/ref=pd_cp_b_1 ) at £5.49 will show you which constellations are visible at any point during the year is a good start.

As far as a book goes, Turn Left At Orion is a good beginners guide ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0521153972/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9555491469&ref=asc_df_0521153972 ) which perhaps you can work along with your daughter on. Might be a nice thing to develop together. If you have a pair of binoculars though you may get more out of it as the book is geared towards those who have some kind of optical aid to hand.

I am sure other SGL members will make more recommendations as well.

Hi Mav, well first off I would suggest downloading "Stellarium" which is free and easy to use. It can be configured to show the same sky as that seen from your observation site. Lots of great features that will help you (+ little one) learn the night sky and all these features are under your control. One great feature is the advance date/time feature that will help you know what is coming up and when.

From a book perspective, the only one that is clearly written and designed to help those starting out with either a modest scope or binoculars is "Turn Left at Orion". Contains a lot of information along with written instructions AND maps on how to find the listed 100 objects that are divided up into the relevant seasons that they appear. If you want to take a closer look at this book then you can have a scroll around here to see why it such a popular publication. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Edit: Beaten to the post by above replies! :grin:

DirkSteele nailed it. That is how I learned the constellations and found objects to see in the scope. The planisphere is perfect for a child to get around in to learn. The larger the better. They can put it their hands, rotate the dial to the current day and time etc. Then "Turn Left at orion" can tell you what to see, in what constellation, at what time of the year. The book also has sketches of the objects that can get an idea of what you will see in your finders scope and the main scope.

Agree with all the suggestions made.I believe a reasonably priced pair of binoculars would add so much more though. A pair of binoculars given to me as a child started off my love of watching birds and insects (Dragonflies and Butterflies etc). Telescopes and astronomy was always on the cards after that. :smiley:

Both the wife and myself always have a pair of binoculars when out walking because you never know what you will see.

Good luck.

Hi Mav, starting with bins (binoculars) is the best way to start, with a mount and simple tripod,

10x50 will show you a lot, and easier to find your way around the night sky, try this link, http://binocularsky.com/

finding your way round takes time, don't rush into buying a scope then regretting it later, that was the advice

I was given and it's worth it, ask around, people with more knowledge than me will always help.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

thanks for all the advice, will be looking at the site recommended and getting the book - if she is still into it by her birthday it makes choosing a gift so much easier!

:grin:

Archived