NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Laptop Connection

Hi, my Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO has the ability to connect direct to a laptop, however the lead supplied which has an RJ11 plug one end which goes into the handset and the other end has a male connector (cant remember what this is called) which should plug into the laptop and held in by two screws, however the supplied connector is a male fitting and the connector on my laptop is also male?. So not sure if my laptop has limited connectors, if this is the case is there an adaptor I can use to overcome this or am I unable to use at all. Thanks. Richard

Are you sure that the laptop connection you are trying is not the external monitor connection (3 rows of pins if its a newish laptop).

Generally you would by a serial to usb adapter to allow connection through a usb port.

Hope this helps

Trev

Hi,

Three rows of pins is the monitor connection you will need a 9 pin D female to USB connector. Plenty on ebay if your stuck, although buying local would probably be better if you can (any computer shop would have one I would think).

Make sure it comes with a driver disk as windows can be a bit fussy.

Trev

Check which firmware version your synscan has, as the only ability it has to connect to a pc is to flash upgrade it to newer firmware version. If your synscan handset has latest version you wont need serial connector.

As you have already said the only port that looks likes what you need is indeed the exterior monitor port (3 rows of 5 pins) then you will need to use a usb port to serial port adapter (9 pin D female). Rather than try to remember letters and numbers take the lead with you and tell them you need to connect to the 9 pin end to a usb port.

Trev

Anything with an FTDI chipset like these

http://www.tronisoft...CFYbHtAodKR0Akw

I think you may have confused male with female connectors. Male connectors have pins, female connectors have sockets that the pins go in.

Sorry my mistake,it is a female connectors, I understand know what I require, will look at the links provided or my take a trip over to PC world tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help. Richard

Archived