NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

flat part to secondary mirror

Hi folks. I'm in the process of collimating my skyliner 200p that i got a couple of weeks ago and when viewing the secondary mirror through the focuser with no ep attached, I can see that at the bottom of the mirror there is a slight flat edge. It is definately the shape of the mirror and not just the angle of it as it's the same at any angle that i tilt the secondary. Has anyone else had this? Will it affect viewing?

post-28567-0-41069700-1363541439_thumb.j

post-28567-0-45143700-1363541473_thumb.j

post-28567-0-74203700-1363541572_thumb.j

From memory this is not the first I have read of this. It would seem that quite a few have a small flat section, think one or two have been reported with a bevelled edge. The mirrors are made oversize in any case and I would suspect they have a reasonable amount of "spare" area. So nothing that would impinge on the viewing unless the secondary was really a long way off.

At first I thought that the 'flat edge' you mention was poor collimation and a reflection of part of the tube wall and the end of the focuser draw tube (pic 3 on the right)

But from your description - " It is definitely the shape of the mirror.....etc" I really wouldn't worry, the extreme edges of the secondary are often not used as the light cone from the primary is usually a bit smaller the the secondary mirror.

If it were me, I'd collimate and enjoy the views.

Regards, Ed.

The mirrors are made oversize in any case and I would suspect they have a reasonable amount of "spare" area. So nothing that would impinge on the viewing unless the secondary was really a long way off.

I really wouldn't worry, the extreme edges of the secondary are often not used as the light cone from the primary is usually a bit smaller the the secondary mirror.

Not entirely true. Check the following post

http://stargazerslou...20#entry1756603

Jason

Archived