NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC4725, the one armed bandit.

ollypenrice

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember your image and it became one of my favourite galaxies on the spot. Maurice has a nice one from last week, as well.

Here is my version. I had better luck with the seeing earlier that week.

ngc4747_ngc4725_ngc4712_130309_800.jpg

ngc4725_ngc4712_130309_800.jpg

Olly & Yves shared their data with me. Although the noise in their data is much lower than in my data, my stars are smaller due to better seeing conditions. Here you can see a blinking comparison of the linear stretched data (luminance on the left, RGB on the right). 14" ODK/H36 CCD & 10" RC/ST-8300 CCD.

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.dutchdeepsky.com/yves_maurice.gif[/img[

Good post Maurice. The effect of the seeing was huge and the annoying thing is that it clearly affected our luminance more than our RGB. Just bad luck. If only I'd shot them the other way round to get the L on the better night...

It's also worth noting that having a big scope is great but it does mean that a clear night isn't enough. It needs to be a clear night with low turbulence.

Just for the record, the ODK was in focus even though it doesn't look like it!

Olly

Olly,

It's a good job that astrophotographers appear much happier to share than compete. I'm really glad that you give us the chance to admire (and aspire). If we scored any of these images on technical merit and artistic impression, they'd rate right up there with hubble's greatest hits. Achieving images like these, on really high tariff targets, is hugely impressive.

Chapeau!

One day I'll come and stay, and try and pick up a fraction of your skill. You're not that much further away than Kielder anyway, and the cycling is better too.

Jack

Archived