Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello! I bought a Meade 226 telescope at a yardsale for cheap a couple years ago, but have never been able to make it work, and I don't know anybody locally that can help me out with it. My question is this: is this telescope worth keeping and trying to clean up and maybe get new eyepieces for, or is it just junk and I should cut my losses and save for something better? It's terribly dirty, and would at the very least need to be cleaned thoroughly, which I'd have to find instructions for doing. I've googled, but can't find much at all that's specific to this particular model. Any advice/help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

This is a 60mm refractor and to be honest, even if working to its fullest potential, you will not see great views of celestial objects, may be good on the Moon, but even on bright planets I think you will struggle. In its heyday this was a good looking scope, but to be honest, I would not take the trouble to clean it up for so little return. Better to save up for something with larger aperture and good optics in my opinion.

Archived