NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Data clipping when opening files from DSS with PS

Wailin

Hi all,

As the title states, I am having some issues with DSS and clipping of data when files opened in PS. Firstly, PS will not open autosave.TIFF files, stating not enough RAM, so I save the stacked images as 16bit tiff files which will open in PS. The problem is that a large amount of clipping of data seems to occur when the file is opened in pS. I have attached screen shots of the stacked files in DSS and also a screen shot of the opened file in PS to show exactly what I mean.

Here is the final stacked image on DSS showing some nice data (no processing):

spacer.gifDSS_zpsae6b8205.jpg

This is the image converted to 16bit tiff file opened in PS showing loss of data which cannot be recovered no matter what I do to levels and curves:

spacer.gifPSCS6_zps2b902b3e.jpg

Just to point out that I did not have this problem before when using my Canon 1100D, but this is the first time I have stacked images from my modified 450D but I doubt that this is an issue. I have also tried saving the file as 32bit rational/integer but the curves adjustment is prevented (along with other adjustment layers). Anyone have any helpful advice please?! (Posted on other forums also)

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

This is usual as DSS will show a reasonable image as it has applied some adjustments to the raw stacked data. You can then make further adjustments if you want, though not recommended in DSS. If you save the image without applying any adjustments and then open in PS, it will look darker, but that is just because the file has not been adjusted in any way. Make your adjustments in PS and you should be able to improve on what you saw in DSS.

Archived