Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Magnification

Azure

Hey all,

I was just taking some piccies of jupiter with the DSLR hooked up to the telescope, but wanted to know how I can get a higher magnification? The camera was already on full zoom...is there a way to attach a barlow or something? Because I would like to get a closer photo of the planet, but currently don't know how?

Oh and I know a webcam is best for planetary imaging, but the images have come out pretty good (for me), even with a DSLR

Yeah you can use a barlow, mine has a thread so you can screw the T-ring into it and put it into the focuser.

Are you recording with your DSLR? Or just taking low exposure shots?

I'm also interested in trying to record planetary with my DSLR's video mode, just to see how it compares with my super cheap xbox webcam.

DSLR is not realy ideal for planetary ... sensor is too big therfore gives too low magnification. What you need is small chip like on web cams if you on tight budget they great to start with and easy to mod

I was just using really small shutter speeds, so I could actually capture surface detail on the planet, but the video idea sounds interesting. I'll make sure to give it a go next time it's clear.

Yea I will probably end up getting a webcam at some point, but I want to try out everything with my DSLR first, just to see its limitations.

Oh and thanks for the barlow info, I'll give that a go too.

Archived