Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how to resize 2x bin images?

In Photoshop, if you go to Image --> Image size, you'll see a box stating the width/height of the image in pixels. For 2x bin this will be half what it would be for 1x bin, so just enter the new numbers for 1x bin (open up an image you know is definitely 1x if you're not sure of the numbers). I usually resize though earlier in Maxim after I've stacked, and then align everything once it's 1x bin size, then import into Photoshop.

About £500.

Try APT, DSS, PhD, Nebulosity, Astro Tortilla, Elbrus and Sequence Generator Pro. They are either free or (relatively) inexpensive (with a free demo).

Whatever you use, you'll still need Photoshop (and/or Pixinsight) to tinker.

From memeory you can't always just double the Bin 2 numbers. I'm sure I've used cameras which were a pixel out when I did that. Instead I just copied the numbers of the Bin 1 image and imposed them on the Bin 2. This doesn't seem logical but I'm convinced I had this at least once. Am I dreaming?

A much cheaper alternative to Maxim is Astro Art 5.0 which I find really excellent. The stacking is incredibly easy and controllable and you don't have to plough through pages of instruction to choose between the possible algorithms. The sigma clip is a satellite remover par excellence and the hot pixel and Bad Pixel Map features work well. The guiding is rather quirky with a lot of windows open but it gives you a scatter graph which is so useful in spotting what's going on. For instance, if you have had just one guiding glitch in the whole night it shows instantly so you know to look for a bad sub. The scattergraph pattern also gives you a good idea of what's going wrong if it is going wrong. Backlash just looks exactly like backlash, for instance.

I do think you need Ps, though older discounted versions are fine. There are so many good astro plug-ins available.

Olly

Archived