Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What on earth can cause this? Tracking, alignment and guiding problems

Jannis

Well, it seems the stacked resulth smooths out teh stars a bit, but i think i will try to take the mount apart again today and have another look at the gears, and maybe the DEC worm-gear as well wich i suspect i damaged a tiny bit.

The mount seems to make a strange sound while tracking from time to time as well. Not the standard high-frequency noise it usually make. Almost like it's struggeling to move the scope. Could be i've tightent something too hard?

This is a very quick stacked result (not processed for details yet, just to see the stars shape mainly) from about 3 hours worth of 400s and 800s subs from 2 days ago. Cropped a bit, but not 100%.

post-9520-0-19442200-1363345624_thumb.pn

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to turn "Auto" off and choose either North or South in DEC guiding, if your DEC alignment is out it will drift in 1 direction only. Having it set to Auto can cause a rocking effect as it bounces between North or South. Turn off DEC guiding and see which direction DEC wanders off in then set DEC to the opposite direction.

Ok, thanks. Will try that tonight if the weather lets me. But hwo do i see wich way it drifts too? Can PHD tell me wich way somehow? I have always had it on auto and "resist switch", but i'll give it a try with turning it off to see how it drifts.

Archived