Suggestions on good binoculars needed!

Hi, I'm going to buy a pair of budget binoculars. I'm in India. IT seems Celestrons are very overpriced here. Not all of them but I need LONG eye relief. And the nature 10x50, etc,, which I originally wanted, are too overpriced here. So I'm in the search for binoculars less than 7000rs=128$. We have Olympus, Nikon, Celestron (though long eye ones overpriced), Vanguard, Bushnell. We don't have Pentax outside ebay and they are way beyond my budget. being overpriced. The last two brands have some models, not all.

I need suggestions on what these binoculars are like:

Vanguard Venture Plus 1042G

Vanguard Venture 1050

Vanguard Venture 1050B

I'm excited about these since they are roof binos (or looks like from the pictures). I couldn't find much info about waterproofing, fogproofing, etc, as some Indian sites have misleading info. Can anyone tell me about these binocs and any strengths and shortcomings, eye relief. Thanks. And most importantly, how good they are for astronomy! I do not mind the size, as long as it's about 9x63, 10x50, etc.

Hi from the UK. Hope you don't mind me saying, but I would post your enquiry in the binocular section, you will be more likely to get some informed replies there.

I think your idea of 10x50 or similar is a good one.

Don't know if it's possible for you, but if you can get to a retailer that stocks binoculars, then actually trying them is better than buying at a distance.

If you can afford it, then avoiding the cheapest ones is generally a good idea, unless someone who knows about bins can advise about good ones for the money.

Hope you find something that suits you, Ed.

The Vanguard Venture Plus 1042G are on sale on Amazon in the UK for £105 ( about 8500r ) no reviews anywhere that I can find but bins in that price range are usually very good.

Re: Olympus DPS 1

Me too - I think they're great.

I've read about this model and it does not seem to have adequate eye relief for a specs wearer. That is the whole problem. I need long eye relief models, and a cheap one. Websites advise around 18mm-20mm. I'm not sure if I want to go for those Vanguards, though they have good features like waterproofing and gas filled and roof prisms, because there don't seem to be reviews. Anyone have any advice for this or any other bincoulars? Thanks.

Re: Olympus DPS 1

I've read about this model and it does not seem to have adequate eye relief for a specs wearer. That is the whole problem. I need long eye relief models, and a cheap one. Websites advise around 18mm-20mm. I tried similar Celestron models and the view was cut off badly. I need to wear specs, because of astigmatism. I'm not sure if I want to go for those Vanguards, though they have good features like waterproofing and gas filled and roof prisms, because there don't seem to be reviews. Anyone have any advice for this or any other bincoulars? Thanks.

The site apparently also says that those bins are 'Emerald green coated'. Is that okay for astronomy and birding? I wanted natural colour. Also, after doing some research, it seems Vanguard is not that well known. I really don't want to risk getting something that might be substandard quality.

Does anyone know of any good binoculars in that equivalent price range? How good are Bushnell products?

Archived