Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Setting up Stellarium with new scope and EP's?

Hi all, I've recently downloaded stellarium and have noticed that you can add your telescope so that you get the same view on the screen as through the scope. My question is, how do I find out what the settings are? I have a sw 250px and I know the focal length is 1200mm and the diameter is 254mm but does the scope give both horizontal flip as well as vertical flip or is it just vertical as it's a newt? Also, what about the standard EP's that come with it? I have no idea how to input those. It's asking for 'aFOV' 'Focal Length' and 'Field Stop' what are the correct figures for these (25mm EP and 10mm EP). Better still, how do I work these figures out for future reference?

Any help with the above would be great. :grin:

The standard eyepieces have an apparent field of view of around 50 degrees. You can work out the approximate true field of view that they give by dividing the apparent field by the magnification given so the 25mm shows just over 1 true degree and the 10mm around .4 of a degree. The moons disk is around half a degree in diameter for reference

With a newtonian, north and south are reversed as well as east and west.

Both flips for a Newt, or a refractor or SCT/Mak used "straight through". One flip (horizontal I think) for a refractor or SCT/Mak used with a star diagonal. No flips for anything with erect image optics.

Field stop entry I think can be ignored.

Archived