NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lunar photography using eyepiece projection

I've recently bought an adaptor for eyepiece projection (link) from TS and used it with a 10mm eyepiece to image the moon but I just couldn't reach focus (with and without a x2 barlow).

The OTA I used is a SW 150P Skyliner with stock focuser.

How can I get focus? Do I need an extension tube ..? If so what size?

Appreciate the advice.

• 3 weeks later...

White dwarf is correct in solving your problem. Sounds as though your focuser does not have enough travel. Most of my photos, especially solar photography I have placed a 10 mm eyepiece inside my T-adapter on the rear cell of my 12" SCT. Although a SCT may have a longer travel of mirror adjustment than your focuser. If you get a chance, check out the solar photos on my site. I have no problem in achieving focus that way. I used a standard T-adapter, drilled and tapped 3 1/4 holes 120 degrees apart to hold the eyepiece. You may have to experiment with a longer tele-extender. But using a 10 mm eyepiece, you should not need a barlow of any magnification. Best of luck to you in your project. Clear skies brother

Hi Sunset, thanks for your answer, did some testing the other day and I was holding the camera further and further from the focuser (with and without an EP) and it just wasn't right. The only way I can achieve focus is when I put the barlow in the focuser without anything else.

Seems I can't use eyepiece projection with my OTA then? I've tried various setups (Focuser > Extension tube > DSLR, Focuser > Ext. Tube > 10mm EP > DSLR, etc... ) with no luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived