SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

jupiter

scanning the sky with my 25mm ep and i came across jupiter quickly changed to 10mm ep bit of a focus change and there it was, at first i was expecting more but i moved a little and i could see dark bands and what i think was one of the moons, it looked awesome, what ep could i get to make it look even better??

Hi mate there's a forum here for eyepieces , like u I only have the stock eyepieces and am looking to upgrade . The celestron and bst eps are highly recommended depends on your budget really . Hope this helps kev

thanks mate, would it just show more detail?? any specific brand or would they all roughly be the same?. if im honest i was expecting it to look abit bigger but thats prob due to the photos ive seen from other peoples dob 200p's

If its F5 which seems right for 200p then ur focal lenhgth is 1000, so with a 10mm you are get mag100. 8 will get u 125. I would have thought that times 150 or there abouts would not be over gunning a 200 so maybe a 7 (142) or even 6mm in right conditions (165) could be useful. +1 for wither BST or Celestron. Both are reasonable priced and give decent views for a hobbyist.

The poor view of Jupiter may be caused by poor seeing. I don't know what's the weather like in Norfolk, but there were some thin high level clouds here in Southampton for the last two 'clear' night. These clouds completely destroy the view above moderate magnification.

Good point Keith. My viewing tonight was rubbish above about 60 although i was only using my toy scope. ( Its a startravel 80 but its great for grab n go half hour sessions).

But yeah, conditions have not been brill here in the NWest either.

Tigerjon the reply from Keith is spot on , I have the same scope and eps as you but down here in the south-east for the last 2 nights it looks very clear to the naked eye but the viewing has been disappointing to be honest. Last night looked really clear but I packed up early thinking something was wrong with my scope, but again turning to SGL again I read several posts all saying the same , poor skies . Kev

Archived