Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which scope to buy?

Hi guys n gals,

I have had my current scope for a few years, I'm wanting to progress with my hobby, I am by now used to using an eq mount so I have no fears using one, budget could be a bit of an issue at the moment.

Depending on what options you can give me I think my budget may stretch to about £400, though it could be a while before I could stretch to that.

My main priorities are :-

Planetary and DSO's which will be my main focus :laugh:.

Webcam for basic imaging - I know nothing about using/adapting a webcam on a scope, could be fun!.

A scope that is quick to setup in my garden.

Any ideas please.

Cheers

Steve

As I see you list a Nikon DSLR that means I would guess ideas of longer exposure imaging, other then just an avi file of planets and then stacking these frames.

That in turn means a reasonable mount say EQ5 at least and dual motors as a minimum. Now an EQ5 is £240 without motors so you are going to have to consider £300 for just the mount.

That is just about the budget gone and you have not upgraded the scope.

The 150P is a step up but not a significant one, the 200p is a good step up but that is at the top end concerning weight for imaging. Although you can get the 200p on an EQ5 for £415 however you may need to change the focuser to get an image at the camera and you could also need a coma corrector for imaging on a DSLR, you would need to add motors.

I think you are going to have to decide what it is you want to do ultimately (DSO'a and planets means everything other then the sun), then most likely get a suitable mount first and use the present one on whatever mount, then purchase the scope.

Hi Ronin,

Just to throw a spanner in the works, I only listed my DSLR thinking at the time that it would be an option, I have read various threads on here that suggest that the camera of choice would be a Canon and with a CCD sensor not CMOS as in the Nikon, what I am saying is that I will not be using the Nikon but would like to use a webcam instead.

If it proves that is too much hassle I would revert back to just observing only (lunar, planets and DSO's). I did ask in another thread about the weight limit of the eq2 I have at the moment with the Konus on it, with the hope that it would take a bigger aperture/heavier OTA, the replies I got told me that the eq2 was at about its limit. That changed my whole approach and you guessed it - aperture fever took over.

Sorry if the post is a bit confusing, basically ease of setup and use, observing only lunar, planets and DSO's are the first considerations and then maybe webcam if practical.

Thanks for your input, I should have prioritised it better, you have certainly made that simpler.

Cheers

Steve

as a first step why not get a suitable web cam and use your current setup, I think your mount has a RA drive which should be OK for lunar and planetary work, registax software is good at aligning images from .avi videos.

Hi 66mikeg,

Yes my mount has an RA drive, the 1.25" focusser is also driven, my main concern is I have never done any imaging before, I think a webcam is probably the way to go - but then the ? is which one, it will most probably need modifying - on that basis I don't want to be spending too much in case I make a mess of any mods having no experience at all of using a webcam let alone modding one, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Archived