NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Aligning a Rigel quikfinder

So, I got my Rigel today! :laugh: And it doesn't work! :embarassed: I'm assuming that its just a dead battery and that this is my punishment for not listening to you lovely people that advised that I should get the AA battery pack. Obviously I ignored you and went for the cheaper option and now have to wait til the weekend when I get a chance to go battery shopping. A new pack of AAs is currently sitting on my shelf looking smug. Anyhoo, whilst pondering what might be had I listened to you I come to realise that I'm not entirely sure how to align the thing once it gets a battery. Firstly, any advice on whereabouts on the tube to fix it? Does it need to be in the same position as the soon to be removed RDF which came attached to the scope or is it better in another position? Secondly, I assume you align it in much the same way as an RDF (ie in daylight using a far off object centred in the main scope). However, when I do this should I be centering the object in the middle of the smaller ring? Sorry if this is an obvious question but I just want to get it right! Thanks.

What scope do you have? If the Rigel base will fit and viewer isnt in the way of anything then site it there. Once in position, point the scope at a distant object then using the adjustment knobs on the Rigel until the object youve sighted on is inside the centre circle - job done.

I used Halfords double sided number plate tape to fix the base of mine to the tube

What scope do you have? If the Rigel base will fit and viewer isnt in the way of anything then site it there. Once in position, point the scope at a distant object then using the adjustment knobs on the Rigel until the object youve sighted on is inside the centre circle - job done.

I used Halfords double sided number plate tape to fix the base of mine to the tube

I have the Celestron Astromaster 114EQ with inclusive pointless RDF (all you can find with it is the red dot so its quite well named). The aforementioned barrier to star gazing can be removed without too much violence so I should be able to site the Rigel just behind the empty bracket if this is the best place for it.

Rigel quick finder comes with double sided foam tape. You just cut them to size, tape it to one of the two base, and then tape the base to your scope.

As for the dead battery, did you pulled out the insulating plastic strip? I had a CR2032 on for a year and did not have any problem, (other than I forgot to turn it off after packing up)

EDIT: just checked my new one, it did not have insulating strip. Are you sure it's not working? Rigel finder reticle is quite faint (so they aren't too bright at night) and quite hard to see under normal office light. Turn it to the max, point it under the table and place your eye close to it, with the knobs pointing AWAY from you. (I always found it's a bit odd they placed the controls in the front, personally I would design it so the control faces the user)

Rigel quick finder comes with double sided foam tape. You just cut them to size, tape it to one of the two base, and then tape the base to your scope.

As for the dead battery, did you pulled out the insulating plastic strip? I had a CR2032 on for a year and did not have any problem, (other than I forgot to turn it off after packing up)

EDIT: just checked my new one, it did not have insulating strip

Now I'm feeling hard done by. Mine didn't come with foam tape! I'm sure its a conspiracy! I'll check for an insulating strip though.

Check if it's working in the dark. The circles are too faint to see in the day time (this is a good thing :)). The CR2 batteries last years and the AA pack makes it look ugly.

Fortunately, whilst having my lie down, I put a blanket over my head, switched the Rigel on and as if by magic red circles appeared! Thanks guys! I shouldn't be allowed out in public by myself. :smiley:

Fortunately, whilst having my lie down, I put a blanket over my head, switched the Rigel on and as if by magic red circles appeared! Thanks guys! I shouldn't be allowed out in public by myself. :smiley:

Congratulation on your new Rigel finder.

Secondly, I assume you align it in much the same way as an RDF (ie in daylight using a far off object centred in the main scope). However, when I do this should I be centering the object in the middle of the smaller ring? Sorry if this is an obvious question but I just want to get it right! Thanks.

As it was pointed out, the Rigel reticle is too faint to see in day light, so it is best to align it at night. The Moon and Jupiter (and other planets) are good targets for alignment. Their brightness make them easier to find in your scope without finder. Once you centred the object in your scope, you move Rigel's reticle using the three adjustment knobs, and yes you should put the object in the centre ring.

F1 Bird Don't feel too bad. I got my Rigel yesterday from FLO. I thought at first that it didnt work - took out the battery and reinserted it. It worked then!

Pretty hacked off about the tape tho'. Like you I didn't think there was any tape. I though "what a miserble bunch" (my Telrad came with tape). I went out and bought a roll @ £5.25 :embarrassed:

After reading your post I had another look in the box and found it cunningly concealed there (doh!)

Am now wandering about the house looking for something to fix with 2.5 metres of double sided tape :rolleyes:

I'm still not too sure about where on the tube to fix it. Does it matter particularly so long as it is pointing towards the business end? I can take the existing finder off and it will fit behind the bracket for that or, alternatively, it would fit in the gap between the existing finder and the focusing tube. Is there any benefit to one place over another?

Fit it wherever is most comfortable for you. I have mine next to the optical finder. Perhaps try cable ties to hold it in place until you are happy with placement and then fix it with the tape. If you apply it properly and make sure the tube is clean where you stick it, it should be nice and solid. I have two of the things with bases on about 6 scope and swap them around all the time. I haven't had one fall off (or even come loose) yet even at -15°C one year.

Archived