I want a cheap scope for some Deep sky object(not very much interested in planets) with altaz or basic EQ mount, as i do not have much to spend on a scope for now. please suggest some me the lowest price that i should start with for a scpoe for DSO. I know that the more i spend the more i get but i want to start really cheap. I already have a 10x50 binocuar. please suggest scopes only from celestron or orion. thank you

Celeston and Orion (the USA Orion I presume) newtonian / dobsonian scopes use the same optics as Skywatcher so I would extend your "net" to include that brand as well.

I'd be thinking of either a 130mm or a 150mm dobsonian as being the best value for money for deep sky objects, on a low budget. Your budget would need to be £140 - £200 for something like that. If you have a larger budget your options increase of course.

I want a cheap scope ... with altaz or basic EQ mount, as i do not have much to spend on a scope for now.

Usually the cheapest mount is a dobsonian mount - so I'd consider that first instead of an Alt Z or EQ mount

Maybe start saving instead, if you can. In the end you will be much happier. For maybe 20-30% more, you could get a much better scope.

I wish that I had done so.

Anyway, these guys will highlight the best scope for your money.

Clear skies to you sir!

Some great advice given here, aksingha and it is also worth bearing in mind that the budget doesn't quite stop at the telescope. Of course, not in one go, but a dob will need a collimation tool at some stage, perhaps after a month or so, you will feel the telescope is only one half of the equation and will want to upgrade on the standard supplied EPs, a field star-map will be handy to get about the night sky, as would be a red dot finder, some solid case to store your new EPs in, and so on. With this in mind - I'm also swayed by Ras Skipper's advice. Maybe it would be worth holding out and saving just a little more.

With that caveat out the way, the primary function of a telescope is to gather light. So, if you're on the hunt for a decent DSO (galaxy, nebulae, globular) resolving telescope, all things being equal, you want a decent size aperture and maybe if you go for a small 4" to 6" dob, you will be kicking yourself six months down the line wishing you'd gone for that 8". It is also worth bearing in mind that a cared for 8" dob will probably sell quicker and at a better return on the secondhand market if you decide to change.

Some great advice given here, aksingha and it is also worth bearing in mind that the budget doesn't quite stop at the telescope. Of course, not in one go, but a dob will need a collimation tool at some stage, perhaps after a month or so, you will feel the telescope is only one half of the equation and will want to upgrade on the standard supplied EPs, a field star-map will be handy to get about the night sky, as would be a red dot finder, some solid case to store your new EPs in, and so on. With this in mind - I'm also swayed by Ras Skipper's advice. Maybe it would be worth holding out and saving just a little more.

With that caveat out the way, the primary function of a telescope is to gather light. So, if you're on the hunt for a decent DSO (galaxy, nebulae, globular) resolving telescope, all things being equal, you want a decent size aperture and maybe if you go for a small 4" to 6" dob, you will be kicking yourself six months down the line wishing you'd gone for that 8". It is also worth bearing in mind that a cared for 8" dob will probably sell quicker and at a better return on the secondhand market if you decide to change.

good advise qualia, i would second the 8" dob, that's what i've got and it certainly delivers a punch, glad i didn't go for the 6", regarding the collimtaor i would say get that at the same time as the scope, mine needed adjusting straight away although wasn't too far out. yes as qualia says you need to budget in for the extras too. good luck with your decision.

An alternative to buying other "stuff" with the scope - find a local astronomy group and take your scope along to viewing nights. I'm pretty sure you'll find someone that will either collimate your scope for you, or let you use their tool. And once you've had a few months with your scope and start thinking about new EPs you can try out your new friends ones first before making a purchase :)

Archived