Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explorer 150-p or 150-pl?

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while and am all set to lay down some cash for a scope, but I cannot decide whether to choose the Skywatcher Explorer 150-p or the pl. I am mainly interested in deep sky objects and was really hoping someone could tell me if it will be worth my while paying the extra few pounds for the 150p?

in terms of faint objects there will be no difference in the two scopes visually. the PL will have a narrower field (just over a degree vs about 1.6 degrees with a 25mm plossl). the PL will have more contrast on planets but be a longer tube and possibly need a heavier mount.

collimation will hold for longer and have more leeway in the PL and cheaper eyepieces will work better too.

I might be wrong but is the PL a 1.25" focuser? if so this will mean only 1.25" eyepieces.

in terms of faint objects there will be no difference in the two scopes visually. the PL will have a narrower field (just over a degree vs about 1.6 degrees with a 25mm plossl). the PL will have more contrast on planets but be a longer tube and possibly need a heavier mount.

collimation will hold for longer and have more leeway in the PL and cheaper eyepieces will work better too.

I might be wrong but is the PL a 1.25" focuser? if so this will mean only 1.25" eyepieces.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did my best to spot a difference between them other than focal length and couldn't spot anything but you're right, it is a 1.25" focuser on the pl. Will this hold it back at all or is it only a slight inconvenience?

I would suggest the PL.

Little less critical on collimation and generally little easier on eyepieces, also you can get a bit extra magnification owing to the extra focal length if wanted for viewing planets etc. Coma will be less on the PL so the image a bit sharper across the field.

The f/5 is really only useful if you are doing prime focus photography, when the image is a little smaller so a little brighter, but you would most likely want or need a coma corrector.

Thanks for the quick reply. I did my best to spot a difference between them other than focal length and couldn't spot anything but you're right, it is a 1.25" focuser on the pl. Will this hold it back at all or is it only a slight inconvenience?

It's not really a big issue. it means that the maximum field of view would be with a 32mm plossl so about 1.3 degrees. I find this more than adequate. the shorter tube would allow more to be squeezed in but more often than not you'll want a closer look rather than a wider look if you're like me.

you'd not normally need a coma corrector at f5.

Archived