Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thanks to SGL members for their help & advice on scope purchase

First of all a big thank you to all the patient & informative members of SGL who have greatly helped me with my first scope purchase.

The learning curve is a bit steep but someone is always there to answer even the daftest of questions.

The only daft question is the one that you don’t ask that eventually gets you into trouble - buying the wrong scope/equipment.

I was going to purchase the Skywatcher Explorer 200P EQ-5 combination, you cannot argue against its value for money. Then I saw one in action and it changed my approach to my eventual purchase.

I just had the idea that there was just a bit too much to learn & get used to with this scope and maybe I should go for something a bit easier to handle and use.

I settled on a used Lyra Optics F11 4” refractor, a decision based on good optical quality & easier to use than a large reflector. Personally I think the reflector is best left on the back burner for now at least, a possible second scope maybe.

Eyepieces also seemed to be a bit confusing for newbies so I purchased a selection with the scope, 9mm, 25mm, 32mm & a 2x Barlow lens.

The standard mounting plate is a bit short for this scope so I bought a William Optics mounting plate which is longer & more stable & suits the mounting rings.

The mount, a real headache, the obvious but not clear cut choice is the Skywatcher EQ5 mount or maybe the Celestron CG-5 GT GOTO, very tempting with its range of starting points making it easier to set up.

I have settled on the EQ5 mount for similar reasons to choosing a refractor over a reflector, there is just a bit less to sort out in that all important clear window between the clouds!

My personal choice of course, but there is no substitute to seeing telescopes in the flesh and asking all the right questions however daft on here or at your local astronomy club.

And I cannot stress that final point strongly enough.

If you buy property its location, location, location.

Buy Hi-Fi then use your ears.

Buy optical equipment use your eyes, but in property terms then quality, quality, quality is king. You cannot escape from that principle as I have learned from a 40 year interest in photography.

Thanks again to all of you for your help, should have it all assembled next weekend, I’ll let you know how I get on.

Archived