NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Whirlpool Galaxy

Hello,

Tried to image the whirlpool galaxy today & was wondering, as I failed, whether somebody could identify the problem for me please. Got a skymax 127 & looking through the finderscope while checking on stellarium, I got to the point where I thought this galaxy should be, but in the bit in the photo where it is (around the 'triangle'), when looking through the finder there was just dark sky. Seeing was 0, clarity 5 but did have a rising moon to contend with. The triangle location was very faint & had nothing around where it was. Took a photo of the area anyway from the camera but the picture was just a blank (I do know to look upside down/ back to front like). There was a slight glare from the 3/4 moon but the actual galaxy is supposed to be brighter than the surrounding 'triangle' stars isnt it? Am very baffled as to the cause of the actual failure myself so could really use some added wisdom on the matter if I could.

Oh, was also looking at Saturn aswel right & couldnt make out any detail, could I clarify that its close to the Moon at the moment for this?

Thanks for the help & have a nice day!

post-26748-0-96646000-1362281540_thumb.j

Hello,

I cant really help with the whirlpool problem. Although did you not try looking for it with a wide field eyepiece or just the finder?

I was viewing and imaging Saturn this morning. I personally couldnt see any effect from the moon whatsoever, the seeing is never great with it being so low though. It is also quite small, so you're not going to see lots of detail anyhow. Could you see the rings? I had some nice views personally.

Dan

Yes, I saw the rings for like a 3rd time, but back on topic now I looked at orion near a large moon once & could hardly see a thing so guess it's just something i'm going to need some further experience with in order to understand (myself) I guess. I know the 'brightness' of galaxies is spread out over a larger area than just the cores, am just a bit baffled really to why it didn't want to show you see.

Oh well,

Cheers Long_Arms!

Archived