NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Does anybody have this guider?

emadmoussa

Yes I have it and it works well. I use it with a QHY5 camera. I have the rings screwed onto a dovetail that then screws onto my scope tube rings. It's a great solution to being able to have a finder and guider in one package. If I need the finder, i';s easy to screw out the adaptor and screw in the illuminated eyepiece. I'd not hesitate in recommending it.

Although, prior to this I had a SW finder that had an adaptor on it from Bern at Modern astronomy and this worked just as well. Was just fiddly to swap in and out but far cheaper!

When you say plug and play with the NEQ6 - you need a camera to guide with as that's not included and as long as it has an ST4 cable, you can put this into the mount guider port and with PHD software (free) on your lappy it will work fine.

Thanks! Do you happen to know if I can connect it directly into the NEQ6? And how is it compared to the Orion Starshoot? Does it work with PHD? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a bit of a newbie when it comes to guiders :)

Stunning photos you've got there on Flickr.

The camera you get will plug directly into the NEQ6 via the ST4 port, so make sure that your guide camera has an ST4. I don't know about the Orion starshoot I'm afraid.

Stunning photos you've got there on Flickr.

Thank you :smiley:

Ok, this gonna sound really dumb :D. But for a moment I thought the camera and the scope are a package deal...doh!! Too good to be true. I already have an ST80, but require a guider camera for it, and not quite sure where to start.

If you already have an ST80, then all you need is a guide camera for it. Pop it in the scope - Make sure there's no felxure and everything is tight - Then off you go.

ST4 cable from the guide camera to the mount and that's it!!

Many people use the QHY5 for a guide camera. The Atik Titan can also be used, to name but two. Basically as long as the camera has an ST4 port in it, it will guide.

Well I was curious about the price, thats when I seen no camera and realised it was not worth it. Not that I am in the market for one, have an abudance of kit, cloud and no knowledge :D.

Jim

True, the whole point for me was the camera. The ST80 would function better I'd assume, considering stability and size.

Archived