Advice on Filters pls

Hi guys just a quick one this time,

i recently bought an astronomik CLS LP filter for my canon 1000d because of a lot of LP in my area, i bought the filter to get rid or try to reduce the orange tint in my photos from street lights and so that i can also do longer exposures (well longer than 30 sec - 1 min lol).

now heres the snub of it lol i was told last night by a friend that yes the filter will block the glow to a certain extent from street lights but will have no effect on the white light produced by outside security lamps on peoples houses of which i have 2 from across the road that face onto my garden :-( and the nearest dark site to me is 15 miles away.

so heres the question.... have already asked them to lower the lamps so they face further down which have to admit they have done but the glow from the lamps is still very bright when they are going off and on is there anything else i can do or have i just wasted over £100 on the filter i just bought?

any advice greatley appreciated.

stuart

Hi Stuart, there is no filte that will block out all light pollution unfortunately, but as to whether you have wasted your money, I would say no, to filter out the orange sodium street lights is a good thing in my view. To be honest, I do not actively endeavour to filter out light pollution, occasionally I use the Baader Neodymium filter which I find very good for visual applications.

Local light's a major problem for visual observing because it ruins your dark adaptation, but for imaging I suspect it's a less critical issue, so long as the scope itself isn't lit.

Can you rig up anything that would block their lights?

We are lucky and over the years trees have grown to obscure annoying neibougers lights. I have heard of people rigging up things like a tarpaulin that they put into place when observing, so block neighbouring lights. .

Archived