SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Landscaping our back garden to accomodate a scope pad

We are looking at landscaping out east facing back garden and integrating into it I am having a paved telescope pad where I can set up.

At the moment I have to set up on the lawn which slopes and also when I have been out a few nights the grass ends up looking like Hackney marshes. Chewed up and muddy which is a pain as I then have to keep on taking my boots off when I come into the house. And also ends up messing my gear up with mud as well. Having a nice clean, flat, paved area will mean I have somewhere good to set up in the future. I also read on SGL recently that somebody put some permanent tripod marks into their patio, so they knew where to place it every time. Guess i'll have to find where true North is and maybe do the same myself.

I feel your "pain". Ive been planning on laying down a patio in the middle of the garden so i can observe without my wheelchair getting bogged down in wet grass and mud. I just cant catch a break with the weather to even attempt to do it. I did ask a neighbour if he would be interested in doing it for me as he owns his own building company and it would be a very small one day job for him or a couple of his guys. He wanted a LOT of money for the job...........way more then i expected. I kindly refused his quote as i could do it cheaper myself with the help of my nephew. I'm still pondering the logistics of the project because i am not sure how big of a paved area i would need to happily setup my scope and use my wheelchair at the same time. I'm thinking 10x10ft would be big enough. Anyways.............the project is on hold for now as i plan to sell my house this summer. I dont want a garden in my next house, so am looking for a place with a slabbed "courtyard" back garden.

It's temporary but certainly could prevent all the churning up of the mud - worth getting a roll of rubber matting that you could roll out then walk around on then roll back up when you are done?

Something like this? http://www.polymax.c...-grass-mat-roll

Wouldnt that cause a lot of vibration through the scope?. At least with grass, it absorbs pretty much all vibrations, which makes it great for observing on..............if it is dry. The thing about concrete/paving slabs etc is that during the day they hold heat in and release that heat at night. Its not much heat given off, so it should not have much if any effect on observing.

Perhaps the feet of the tripod can be placed in the holes of the above material and into the lawn. This would be good as it would mean the tripod is still grounded into the lawn (less vibrations) and would keep feet clean etc.

Not a bad solution and not too expensive.

That could be a very cheap option for myself in my wheelchair........(if i dont move as planned)......One roll cut in half and laid side by side could possibly work.

Something to think about.

Thanks for that Torin.

Luckily a friend of mine is a landscape gardener and he is coming over tomorrow to give is some ideas, prices, etc. It would be nice to have it done and dusted sooner rather than later so as to catch the last remaining bit of winter.

Torin,

Yeah I had thought of that, but our lawn is terrible anyway. We have lived here for 7 years and I have spent loads of time and money trying to make it look nice, but I know it will never be a bowling green. Not even close and I like the idea of just being able to go out to a purpose built spot and set-up without any dramas.

Archived