Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Whats the biggest thing?

spurius

Searching on google shows up a group of quasers totalling 4 billion light years at its widest point. But whats the single largest object ever found? Apparently theres a star that so big that if it were placed where our sun was, it would fill the orbit of saturn.

Interesting question. I wonder what could be defined as a single object? Those mammoth stars would be extremely tenuous in their outer layers - just about holding together by gravity. But if you count objects held together by gravity only then what about galaxies or giant clouds of hydrogen?

I remember reading about this, it was hailed as the discovery of the largest known structure in the universe.

So to answer your question, it's the thing you just mentioned.

http://www.space.com/19220-universe-largest-structure-discovered.html

V1489 Cygni is the largest star we know of, its radius is 7.67 a.u. (a.u. being the distance between the Earth and the Sun). There's probably bigger stars out there but we can't accurately measure the size of a star until we know how far away it is.

I believe there is an upper limit to the mass of a star, if it gets too massive then it would collapse in upon itself and become a black hole.

Simon Cowell's ego????? :grin:

I meant the biggest object in the universe. Simons ego cant actually fit in the universe so that dont count.

What I meant by single object is a star, lump of rock or black hole. Basically a single lump of physical matter. I would exclude influence of gravity or other forces generated by it, nebula, glaxies etc.

Archived