NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5- best balancing for imaging advice

M00NMonkey

Hi all, Me again :)

Ahem. Yes you guessed it, I am still cheap and won't upgrade to an NEQ6 :rolleyes:

My question is: When balancing the scope for imaging with an EQ5 (on its weight limit) is it better to have the weights up high (level or higher than the scope) and the scope tracking so it goes lower (weights go up). Or the weights down low (lower than the scope) and the scope tracking higher (weights go down), to get the best out of the mount.

Sorry I am trying to word this so its not too confusing but I am not sure I even understand that ;)

I just want to know the best way to set up, thinking of how the scope will move during the imaging session to best effect.

I have been trying out different ways but with these dam clouds, I am not getting much practice. One thing I have noticed is it is hard to set up for 2 different targets at different sides of the sky. The scope ends up in some crazy positions for one of the two!.

But I am still not sure the best way to weight the tracking movement of the scope.

Hope this all makes sense,

Thanks for reading and clear skies

Jez

I'll be following this with interest mate, I have read tho, that to get the most out of the motor's to have (when looking north) the weights slightly east heavy and (south) slightly west heavy, and always have the 'nose' of the scope slightly heavy too, apparently it helps keep the motor running smoothly. Dont know how correct this info is but it sounds logical.

Steve

I'll be following this with interest mate, I have read tho, that to get the most out of the motor's to have (when looking north) the weights slightly east heavy and (south) slightly west heavy, and always have the 'nose' of the scope slightly heavy too, apparently it helps keep the motor running smoothly. Dont know how correct this info is but it sounds logical.

Steve

Hi mate,

Yeah I have read a few things, but this subject gets quite confusing when trying to explain it in legible, understandable English ;) (or rather, read it) almost becomes like a Yoda riddle!

Thought starting a thread would help consolidate my understanding of it all.

I dont know much about the gearing of the mount and although there are logical ways of setting up, the mounts gearing may prefer an illogical weighting for better movement. I dont know, and its something only experience can explain. I love learning by own my experience because understanding is so much clearer. but at this rate, with the weather, it'd take forever!

Jez

Steve - you are right with your info..

The idea is that the weight pre-loads the gearing so the effect of any back-lash (the gap between the gear teeth) is minimised.

@Jez - when you reach the point that the weights go above the horizontal, you will need to flip the mount. This rotates the RA axis 180 degrees so the weight is now the other side, but you also need to flip the DEC by 180 degrees also. Are you using EQMOD or anything to drive the mount? If so, this will monitor the mount and can flip for you....

Steve - you are right with your info..

The idea is that the weight pre-loads the gearing so the effect of any back-lash (the gap between the gear teeth) is minimised.

@Jez - when you reach the point that the weights go above the horizontal, you will need to flip the mount. This rotates the RA axis 180 degrees so the weight is now the other side, but you also need to flip the DEC by 180 degrees also. Are you using EQMOD or anything to drive the mount? If so, this will monitor the mount and can flip for you....

Hi Daz, Cheers for reply

I have the EQ5 with dual motor axis kit.

So basically......weights always below the scope and moving lower, is best? That is how I thought it should be (logical) but you never know. and would it be right to slightly load the front of scope balance as well, to pre-load the gears?

Thanks

Jez

Hi Daz, Cheers for reply

I have the EQ5 with dual motor axis kit.

So basically......weights always below the scope and moving lower, is best? That is how I thought it should be (logical) but you never know. and would it be right to slightly load the front of scope balance as well, to pre-load the gears?

Thanks

Jez

Yes, although if the weights go a little above, its fine :)

Archived