Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron Skymaster, 20x80

MahlerMoonMan

Hi folks :grin:

I've just been browsing through this forum for the first time tonight and some of what i've read has got me thinking about my astro-binocs .... I've had my Skymaster 20x80 for a few years now and while i'm happy enough with them, optically they seem quite good to me, i'm just wondering what others - the more experienced astro-binocular observers than me - amongst you may think of these? Do they have a good reputation? Does anyone else here have a pair too and are you happy with them? Or not? ..... I didn't buy mine based on reviews, the price was a good one for me at the time and i just liked the spec and i trusted 'Celestron' as a manufacturer of quality astronomical equipment. Like i said, i've been happy with them anytime that i've pointed them up at the clear night sky and what i've seen through them .... The phases of the moon, Jupiter, star fields/star clusters .... But i've never yet had an opportunity to use them under truly dark skies yet, and they are the only astro-binocs that i've looked through .... So maybe they're really mediocre and i just don't know it?!! :shocked: ..... So are my 20x80s for keeps or should i really be thinking towards 'upgrading' them at some point and if so, what to? .....

Just interested in other opinions 'out there' .... :grin:

Best wishes,

Donaldo

Ive had a pair for about a year, and I think I got what I paid for. Theyre big, rugged and rather heavy so a tripod is a necessity. I have tried with a monopod, but that didnt really cut it to be honest. I think I got mine for £80, so not a great outlay for a big pair of bins. They are great for a quick look see. It takes about 5 mins to get my Dob outside, but I can have a look see with the bins in about a minute or less depending where Ive stashed the tripod. I very nearly got the 20 x 100 Celestron bins, but was talked out of it by the shop asistant I was ordering them from. They would have been a weight and a half I think.

So, all in all, I like mine but Im like you having nothing to compare them with.

Dave

Archived