NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2x Focal extender vs 2x barlow

Bart

I believe a focal extender keeps the eyerelief in the same where as a Barlow lengthen it somewhat. I have a Powermate 2 inch X2 and I have used a Meade X2 extender. I believe the Meade was based on the Televue design. The later is now discontinued as such and is now boxed as a Bresser item, though I am lead to understand they are the same. (Meade Dealer info).

Based on my findings Bart I would go for a Meade or Bresser unless you are using it all the time as I found them the same in tests I did. However if you want to increase the ER then buy a good quality Barlow, generally they cost less.

Alan.

Thanks Alan

It's just that I spotted ES extenders for $80 and was just curious how they compared in functionality to the barlows. If there was no great difference in use, I probably won't do anything. Thanks again.

Regards

Barry

Archived