skywatcher EQ5 Goto Synscan Upgrade Kit Question

Good evening all,

I wanted to ask if the Goto Synscan has to only be connected to a power tank to be used. I noticed the kit didn'd bring an AC wall adapter. It only came with the adapter that goes to the power tank. Is it possible to purchase an AC wall adapter to be used at home? Thank you.

If its like the upgrade I got for my EQ3-2, you'll need a fairly beefy supply - 12V at up to 2 amps rings a bell. You can get them and it'd need a cigarette lighter style socket on the end. But do you really want one - chances are, the scope will be outside away from mains. Do you want a long cable to trip over in the dark? You don't need a dedicated power tank - I use a car jump-starter pack.

Good evening all,

I wanted to ask if the Goto Synscan has to only be connected to a power tank to be used. I noticed the kit didn'd bring an AC wall adapter. It only came with the adapter that goes to the power tank. Is it possible to purchase an AC wall adapter to be used at home? Thank you.

You can use a mains psu at home. The SynScan should be powered by 11-15V DC power supply (tip-positive) capable of producing continuous current of minimum 2 amps.

A power-tank would be nice for portability, however, if you're going to use a static-ish view point....

There are plenty of mains powered AC adaptor's available, either from Astro suppliers or ebay, Maplins etc.

They are typically rated anything over 2 Amp and have a 2.1 mm plug, centre positive. They are typically used for CCTV power supplies.

See these offered by Modern Astronomy.

http://www.modernastronomy.com/accessories.html#accPSU

I use similar,(rated 5Amp), my usual observing position is just inside or outside a garage with large double doors, handy for keeping the weather off, not handy for aligning on Polaris (I'm working on that)

The big proviso is to ensure the mains feed / socket is RCD protected.

Take care with leads, just use a bit of common sense.

Archived