NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

a very brief outing.

rory

after setting up the scope to cool and getting the long johns on i ventured into the back garden to find a pretty poor sky ,which got worse rather quickly.

my only shot of anything was the moon and jupiter.

i pushed up the eyepiece to x150 and slowly observed along the terminator. have to say i really enjoyed it. with little white peaks sticking out through the shadows. i came across an area where the shadows and peaks made for amazing viewing. i looked it up after and found it was the area of the rupes recta fault and "thebit" . i can now see why observing close to the terminator is so worth while. it gives some 3d like views .

i then sat and observed jupiter,and this is my question. am i right in saying that the dark spot tonight on jupiters surface was io's shadow ? or have i got that wrong ?

post-11888-0-26345900-1361227076_thumb.j

visibilty was getting bad and there was a huge glow around jupiter ,and the view kept jumping from average to a fuzzy blur. but i sketched the pic above out. as i think i wascorrect in assuming that was the shadow of io.

clear skies (yeah,right !)

Archived