NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

small solar filters

nicks90

i have a celestron astromaster 130eq and have a desire to view the sun, Obviously i would like to retain my eyesight and also not melt the scope!

on the front cover of my scope, it has a small 50mm (ish) aperture cap - which i have used successfully for lunar viewing. The moon is just too bright using the full 130mm and I end up ruining my night vision! knocking the aperture down to the smaller hole makes things pop out nicely.

I dont suppose this small aperture stop is a fairly standard size and more importantly, if anywhere does a small glass solar filter cap that would go over that hole so I could do some solar viewing and possibly a bit of webcam'ing?

I suppose I could buy a big sheet of baader solar film and make a holder to go over the 130mm or just the smaller hole - but i worry about my clumsiness in ruining the sheet or more importantly - creasing it / putting a hole in it and blinding myself.

Any advise would be most welcome

Nick

The film is fairly strong and making a filter isn't that hard. If you're worried about holes in it then the best thing to do is to hold it up to the Sun and check it each time you put it on the scope -- a recommended practice anyhow. Careful storage is probably the most important tip to stop it getting damaged. If you want to use it for imaging I'd recommend using the full aperture of the scope I think. The filter rejects a huge amount of light and the image isn't anywhere near as bright as the Moon. If you're really not happy with the idea though, don't do it. There's no point making one and then feeling uncomfortable about using it.

I'm not aware that anyone makes filters specifically for the holes in the cap. The only time I've seen that done is DIY with Baader film.

FLO do a 130mm ready-made Baader film filter if you just don't want to make your own. I'm not sure what I'd recommend regarding glass filters. Most reviews I've read suggest they're not as good as the Baader film.

James

I'd go with the Baader film as well. The method of making the filter (instructions on Baaders website) show you how to make a filter holder and are simple to follow. You cut the film with sharp scissors. If you get an offcut you can try and rip it up - you will soon see just how tough it is!

Archived