Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My dodgy T ring!

Ant

I have a T ring for my 300D.

It's worked great for a while, then about a year ago I attached everything together and slid the 2" adapter part into the focuser and the camera fell out and landed on the ground.

Luckely I was on grass and it was winter and the groud was soft, so the worst that happend was it got a little wet with dew (No problems).

I didn't really think anything off it, but over the last few months I've noticed that just touching the camera is enough to spin it round on the T ring (which should have locked into place with the little pin).

Basically whats happened is the wall of the hole that the pin drops into has warn away so is not sloped instead of verticle (does that make sense) and it is now very easy to come out.

I had got to the point of adding a new one into my basket at flow today and I thought that I would have a go at drilling another hole. So armed with my "upright drill thing" and a bit the right size - I attempted to drill a new hole.

Oh boy was that fun, but in the end i decided to keep the drill bit still (but turning obviously) and slide the T ring horizontally into the bit. Thus using the side of the drill bill to cut the hole instead of the point.

Had to be really carefull not to snap the drill bit - but it worked a treat. I think that an engineer would have been horrified with my method :smiley: but it worked for me.

So the reason for the post is - if your about to throw it away and buy a new one then you have nothing to lose!

I would post a picture but it looks like a dogs dinner - but it works.

Now need to visit FLO again now and find something else to buy!

Ant

Hehe nice one Ant. What you effectively did was use your pillar drill (or drill press, for that is what they are called!) as a milling machine!

To anyone considering attempting this I would say wear eye protection - if the drill bit breaks you could be minus an eye and if you were really unlucky it could be your 'best' observing one! Drills break pretty easily (I know I've broken 2 this week!) especially when used in a way not intended (hint, hint).

Archived