NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cold cold cold

Hightower

So, I've managed to persuade the wife to come along to a star camp next month (not a bad thing I figure, if I can get her on board it won't be as hard to buy things), but she's worried about not being able to last 10 minutes in the cold.

She complains that it's her feet and legs that are the problem, so just looking for suggestions.....

I was thinking a decent pair of walking boots (she has walking shoes, but not very good in cold - my boots are fantastic I find) and a set of thermals?

Any other suggestions?

No idea where you are but if there is a Go-Outdoors stor around you have a look at their Heat Trap Socks:

HTS

If you consider then ask if they are BOGOF, I noticed that one area mentioned this and asked, got told they are so grabbed a second set for free. Think Go Outdoors had these in 3 or 4 areas and just one advertised BOGOF.

They are fairly bulky, but are warm.

GO also do several walking socks that are pretty good for warmth also, just not so thick.

Wow, sod the wife, I'm getting one for myself!

Next month shouldn't be that cold though...

I don't think it was cold last night, but she was frozen - so can't see it improving much on her heat/cold scale...

No idea where you are but if there is a Go-Outdoors stor around you have a look at their Heat Trap Socks:

HTS

If you consider then ask if they are BOGOF, I noticed that one area mentioned this and asked, got told they are so grabbed a second set for free. Think Go Outdoors had these in 3 or 4 areas and just one advertised BOGOF.

They are fairly bulky, but are warm.

GO also do several walking socks that are pretty good for warmth also, just not so thick.

We have some rather good thermal socks. I think last night she had a pair of thermal socks on, followed by a pair of thick walking socks.

A lot of people are not very good at coping with the cold. My wife as well is one of them. While I'm outside in -2/3 degrees wearing only a light jacket, she just mumbles about making sure the back door stays closed so the cold won't just ''walk'' in. Sometimes she comes to look through the telescope for 2 minutes...freezes up and runs back inside :)

Archived