Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Light!!

gazman71

Evening all

I have been watching these forums for a couple of weeks and have found them very productive.

Had my first 'practise' session Thursday 14th Feb with my new beginners scope , viewing the moon which was amazing. I have hideous street lights on both the front and back gardens, so the moon was my limit.

Tonight, Sunday 17th, walked a few yards away from the lights down the back lane, and managed to also see Jupiter, using the 10mm lens. It was fuzzy, but I found it amazing as it was the first time I have experienced anything like this.

On this occasion, I found I had to allow my eyes to adjust. I was trying to see the stars on Orion, but couldn't see anything through the scope.

But, all in all, I am happy with what I have saw on these 2 nights, and look forward to seeing more with my exciting new hobby.

My scope is a Celestron Astromaster 76EQ. I know it will be 'dissed' by a few, but I don't have a lot of money, and want to get used to using the scope as well as seeing through it.

Does anyone have any tips on actually finding through the scope what you can see with the naked eye? eg, a closer look at beetleguese, however it is spelt? (I do find the laser pointer a faff to use, as I thought it was supposed to project a point at what you want to aim for, not to crouch down looking through it!)

cheers and looking forward to using these forums as well as clear skies

G

Hi Gaz

First off, welcome to the SGL.

Righty, I'm not "dissing" your scope, but the supplied finder looks like the same awful thing that's supplied with the 130mm version. No wonder your having trouble locating stuff, these things are awful. Tried using one myself once.........what an utter nightmare, the projected dot moved around as I moved my head, making it pot luck if you actually found anything. What on earth celestron were thinking selling scopes with these on is beyond me.

Therefore I would advise, try and get a better finder for your scope, either another RDF (red dot finder) that actually allows you to find stuff, or, an optical finder. This will make a huge difference to your viewing IMO :)

Have fun out there and enjoy the night sky.

Cheers Steve and thanks for the advice. It is much appreciated and heeded. I had read some reviews on the celestron scopes and the main gripe was the red dot finder scope, which i think isn't doing its job. I am oging to give myself a few weeks getting used to what I have accessory wise, and then maybe get some add-ons. A new finder will be on the list!

G

Archived