NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dumb Question...

The EQ5 Dual Axis drive does indeed take 4 x D cell batteries. You'll get a good few hours out of them if your just using them to track but expect that to drop if you use them to move the scope around a lot... oh and make sure you have 4 spare. You don't want to run out 10 minutes into a session!

The EQ5 Dual Axis drive does indeed take 4 x D cell batteries. You'll get a good few hours out of them if your just using them to track but expect that to drop if you use them to move the scope around a lot... oh and make sure you have 4 spare. You don't want to run out 10 minutes into a session!

Can you get an adaptor so you can connect the motor to the mains and ditch the batteries??

I bought one of these last year, although it was £40 when I bought it:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/5-in-1-jump-starter-with-portable-power-224871

It comes with a 12v (cig lighter) adapter for charging, which just so happened to fit my SynScan system as well. As well as that, it has a 240v socket on back that I plug my laptop into, and it happily chugs away powering both. Most I've used both laptop and scope for at one time is around 3 hours, but I think the battery still had a lot of life in it.

I don't think that will supply enough current to work. Fortunately if you have a supply that's not capable of providing the current it doesn't seem to harm the handset -- it just flashes the LED lamely at you and refuses to work. Supplying the wrong voltage however is generally terminal.

James

I sometimes use a multivolt adapter along with an RCD safety adapter from the mains HOWEVER I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending it as having a mains electricity supply around when dew is an issue forces you to be VERY careful about covering anything electrical for safety and adds a lot of time to the setup.

Archived