Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable but powerful scopes

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not going to do serious imaging, so it does not have to be top-quality. If I buy the C8 with the CG-5 I get a good price, if I buy another mount the price will be higher, but maybe it's worth it? I am thinking about HEQ5 pro from SW. But I have heard that Celestrons GOTO are really good, but maybe SW's are too?

To start

1. 12V Power lead for the CG5 GT mount. I don't know if this comes as standard or an optional extra. My Nexstar SE didn't have one.

2. 2" visual back for SCT

3. 2" dielectric diagonal

4. Terlard finder / Rigel quickfinder

5. Baader 8-24mm Hyperion zoom eyepiece (84x-254x, 0.5-0.3deg true field)

6. Skywatcher 35mm Aero ED eyepiece (58x, 1.2deg true field)

To start

1. 12V Power lead for the CG5 GT mount. I don't know if this comes as standard or an optional extra. My Nexstar SE didn't have one.

2. 2" visual back for SCT

3. 2" dielectric diagonal

4. Terlard finder / Rigel quickfinder

5. Baader 8-24mm Hyperion zoom eyepiece (84x-254x, 0.5-0.3deg true field)

6. Skywatcher 35mm Aero ED eyepiece (58x, 1.2deg true field)

What is visual back and what is dielectric diagonal?

SCTs like C8, has a 2" SCT thread at the back of the telescope. You need an adapter convert it into 1.25" or 2" fittings. That adapter is called visual back. The C6, C8, and C925 comes with a basic 1.25" visual back as standard. If you want to use 2" accessories with it, you will need a 2" visual back.

A dielectric diagonal is a diagonal mirror fitted with a high quality dielectric coated mirror. Dielectric coating is a type of coating that uses alternating layers of materials with different refractive indices. The layer thickness is carefully control such that they constructively interfere on the reflected rays. Basically dielectric coating is the exact opposite of transmission/anti-reflection coating. Most dielectric coated mirrors has 98%+ reflectivity vs 80% for standard mirror. Dielectric coating is tougher than uncoated mirror and do not tarnish with time. Apart form these optical advantages, most dielectric diagonal are much better built than the scope's standard diagonal.

SCTs like C8, has a 2" SCT thread at the back of the telescope. You need an adapter convert it into 1.25" or 2" fittings. That adapter is called visual back. The C6, C8, and C925 comes with a basic 1.25" visual back as standard. If you want to use 2" accessories with it, you will need a 2" visual back.

A dielectric diagonal is a diagonal mirror fitted with a high quality dielectric coated mirror. Dielectric coating is a type of coating that uses alternating layers of materials with different refractive indices. The layer thickness is carefully control such that they constructively interfere on the reflected rays. Basically dielectric coating is the exact opposite of transmission/anti-reflection coating. Most dielectric coated mirrors has 98%+ reflectivity vs 80% for standard mirror. Dielectric coating is tougher than uncoated mirror and do not tarnish with time. Apart form these optical advantages, most dielectric diagonal are much better built than the scope's standard diagonal.

Will this one be good? http://www.astroshop.eu/william-optics-dielectric-1-25---diagonal-mirrors-with-a-reflection/p,4710

There may be others, but I'd suggest this:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p2427_Baader-2--KlickLock-Klemme-fuer-Schmidt-Cassegrain-Gewinde.html

Then the WO 2" dielectric diagonal is a decent choice and not too expensive choice. The advantage of the click lock visual back is that it's easy to rotate the diagonal to a more comfortable viewing angle when using an EQ mounted scope. The click lock 2" diagonal is nice too but expensive compared with the WO or other generic dielectric diagonals that compare optically...you'd be paying extra for better construction IMO.

Obviously, pricing may vary where you are...

So.. my shoppinglist should be like this?:

- William optics dielectric diagonal 2" link

- Visual back Baader planetarium 2" link

- ep 40mm Aero ED

- Baader 8-24mm (or seperate ep's, I'm not huge fan of zoom-ep's)

- Terlard finder / Rigel quickfinder

- Maybe a Barlow? Celestron link

Powertank I already have.

So.. my shoppinglist should be like this?:

- William optics dielectric diagonal 2" link

- Visual back Baader planetarium 2" link

- ep 40mm Aero ED

- Baader 8-24mm (or seperate ep's, I'm not huge fan of zoom-ep's)

- Terlard finder / Rigel quickfinder

- Maybe a Barlow? Celestron link

Powertank I already have.

The visual back you linked is the wrong one - here is the one you would need http://www.astroshop...c-clamp/p,14687

For the diagonal, I'd probably go for the Baader click lock instead as the price differential isn't as much at astroshop as it is in the UK ... http://www.astroshop...iagonal/p,14694

Since you're going for a 2" aero and a Hyperion zoom (which comes with a 2" barrel in the box), you can get away without a 2" to 1.25" adapter, at least, until you get a 1.25" EP ;)

If you're not a fan of the Zoom EP, then it might be worth asking opinions in the Eyepiece section.

Also, don't forget the dewshield, either purchased or home-made :cool:

" Since you're going for a 2" aero and a Hyperion zoom (which comes with a 2" barrel in the box), you can get away without a 2" to 1.25" adapter, at least, until you get a 1.25" EP "

But I need a 1.25" to 2", so that I can use 2" aero.

you need a sct to 2"push fit, i have one here in the house , a sct back has a different thread and using these it will give you a push fit connection so you can use 2" EP or 2" star diagonals ,

like this one..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-female-to-SCT-Male-Celestron-C8-C925-C11-C14-C8HD-C11HD-telescope-adapter-/360540598024?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f1e4ef08

If I buy a finder, a telrad for example, what more do I need? a dovetail base? but then I also need another dovetail bar to mount on the top of the scope? how do I know if the holes for the screwes on the bar will match the holes in the scope? same size and width between holes?

Archived