Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help me decide

I looked at both a while back and would say:

WO great EP but 6mm is probabaly towards the limit of what will give good views most days - assuming your 200 DoB is the Skyliner, due to 'seeing' conditions not always being perfect.

Baader Hyp - will show some distortion at the edges assuming your scope is fastish at f6 ( how much this bothers people is variable) BUT 8mm is usable more oftan and if you add the cheapish Fine Tuning Rings can bring it's mag up higher when conditions allow.

I went for a 10mm Hyp and both FTR's which gives me ( take these as approx. as from memory) 10, 8.5 , 7.1 , 6.4 . I nudge to keep the planet central where the view is best but due to the nice wide field of view if it strays whilst I look away it's often still there at the edge for me to get back central.

Just my experience I know others may well feel otherwise.

I like the views through my Hyperions in my 200P dob. Can't say I notice distortions around the edges, so either it doesn't bother me or I don't know what to look for :)

Pros:

Good views (to my eyes at least) in my F6 200P dob & my F10 TAL100R refractor.

68 degree field of view lets targets drift slowly by.

Focal lengths can be changed using fine tuning rings (except in the 24mm) - allows me to make the most of the viewing conditions.

Second hand examples are around £65.

Good build quality.

Screw threads for afocal photography.

Cons:

I've read they show distortions in F5 and faster telescopes.

For me the pros outweigh the cons by a considerable margin. I like them, and I would like to get two more to complete my collection, a 5mm and a 31mm Aspheric. I think the Hyperions have useful features that no other eyepieces can offer, certainly not at the price of a second hand item.

Archived