NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Comet (Holmes) magnitude prediction sites ?

Vega

woohoo, i spotted it last night and thought it was a galaxy at first but found out it was holmes. Bought these binos 2 weeks ago and already a comet has come out of its 115 years gap.

Managed to view it last night. They weren't kidding about the brightness :smiley: Then got the Bino's out and..........WOW!

Amazingly, it looks like the images seen, only fainter .

That makes three comets I've been fortunate enough to see in the last year alone! Thanks to info supplied on this site :evil:

Thanks

James

I finally got a chance to see it tonight, i was astonished when i noticed it with the unaiaded eye, i just wasn't expecting it stand out like that, it had a distinct haze to it, then in the bino's, amazing, never seen anything like it! Can't wait to get the 10" newt out tommorow if it's clear.

The past 12 months i've been lucky enough to see 5 comets, mcnaught, swan, schwassman-waschmann, loneos and now holmes, simply amazing! :smiley:

i had the old 6inch on it last night it looks fantastic.

having had a bad strike rate recently, i thought i would never find it but its so bright, it cannot be missed.... even by me.

at a close up you can see the bright point of the comit followed by a section of dark haze and then a light haze all around.

most excelent

Predicting the magnitude of a comet is anybody's best guess. You can never tell when it will go up, (Holmes is a case in point), how much or for how long. The graph shown displays what has been done, and a reasonable, educated guess as to when it will fade. Note this fading is more or less constant, and lasts until, >gulp< July?! I think it won't take that long. But it's just an educated guess. 8)

Archived