solar with a Schmidt

can you view solar with a sct, i can't for the life of me remember were i read it but i seem to recall reading that a schmidt isn't a good idea for solar due to the correcting lens , if you used a solar filter on the top wouldn't this stop any damage that the correcting lens could cause....??

and is there any tips and tricks or how to's on making a solar filter from the a4 paper sheets you can buy for an 8" ..

is it possible to drill a hole say 70mm in the lens cover of my scope and stick the solar filter paper to the back of it.. as a permanent solar filter and view through that..

I see no reason why an SCT wouldn't work for solar. In fact the sky at night magazine once had instructiona for making a solar filter for an SCT using Baader solar paper.

I wouldn't drill your lens cover. the cover would have a permanent solar filter on t which might get damaged. They are easy to make using Baader paper - and a bit of Blue Peter skills with card etc. I made a reduced aperture one for my Newt using Baader paper, plywood, card and gaffer tape. Worked a treat. You just need to be very careful you have fully sealed it so light cannot leak through and it is sturdy enough that it won't blow/fall off while observing.

cool i must of dreamt reading that a SCT was dangerous for solar imaging , unless they meant dont leave it out in the day without a solar filter on .. ok thanks guys i'll have a look into making my own filter as i think it's cheaper slightly lol..

Archived