NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

set up for web cam imaging

Once again i'm having doubts in my chosen set up for webcam imaging.

i was content with a vixen vmc110l and mounting it on a ioptron smart eq..

i have two webcams ,hercules ecafe netbook with software and a twin port power pack one already taken by the netbook. the other was going to be for the mounts goto system..

i'm also wanting to control the system through this laptop..

ok here's the hiccup in my brain in the future i was going to buy a skywatcher dob , now for the same price as the vixen and ioptron set up i could afford a 200p flex tube dobsonian with auto trak base.

would the auto trak on a dob be good enough for webcam imaging and does anybody know if you can control auto trak from a lap top, i recall something like a hack for the other mounts with auto trak?

seems a strange dilemma as the two set ups are nothing like each other..

but if the dob is better for viewing i'd rather get the vixen set up and wait to get a big dob,

if everything goes right i will have a spare £1000 before the year is out and was planning the 300p auto trak anyway..

I'm fairly sure that there are a few people imaging very successfully with large aperture auto dobs posting in the planetary imaging section. It's definitely worth a browse to see what kit people are using and the images are like.

James

it's wrecking my head now lol, i would have thought it should be ok as I've read a few reviews stating it's good for 30 mins of tracking before a slight adjustment might be needed..that should be fine for webcam imaging...

only issue now is actually finding someone who stocks them lol i had a few bookmarked but they are all out of stock. i have a feeling they wont be coming back into stock..any ideas on that.

to be honest it would make my decision a bit easier if they don't make them anymore.. :rolleyes:

Archived