Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CG-5 mount or wait for the new VX mount

kreekineez

I was just about to buy my 1st 'serious' telescope and mount and had chosen the Celestron C8-SGT XLT Goto on the CG-5 mount when I started reading about the soon to be released VX mount. Having waited for many years to get to this stage but now eager to get going, I would welcome the opinions of experienced SGL members whether I should go for what I wanted or wait a couple of more months and consider the new items - will I (as a newcomer to this level of interest) notice any significant difference in the capability of the 2 pieces of kit?

The new one looks nice, the CG-5 has stood the test of time. I don't find the motors noisey .

I'd read all the stories about the cg-5 being noisy before I bought it. Tbh I don't find it noisy at all and for manual control I've got it on a fast slew speed too.

I'm often an early adopter with technology, so I'd be tempted to wait for the VX. Celestron claims it's an upgrade of the CG5 - even FLO says this :cool: my point being the risk is low.

Btw, these appear to be available in th US already, so it might be worth stalking over on the "other side" and see what the first impressions are.

I've had one for beta testing for a couple of months now. There are also a number of people on CN who have them. No one seems to have found a serious problem - yet.

Basically it just works. It aligns well, including ASPA, it guides well, PEC works well because the non periodic gear ratios are gone. I got the PEC down from just over 30" peak to peak to about 2.6" RMS.

I had an AS-GT and this seems to me to be a lot better. I'm getting a GSO 6" RC for it.

Chris

Thank you all for comments and advice - much appreciated - after some deliberation I have now opted for the C9.28 SGT (XLT) 'package' with the CG-5 mount - I am keen to get started (if the weather ever improves) and to be honest some of the pre VX mount deals seem very attractive. Hopefully I will be able to get started soon but no doubt I will be posting regular items seeking your guidance and knowledge. Thanks again everyone, regards David

Archived