NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Book; The Electric Life of Michael Farraday.

ollypenrice

I've wanted to read a Farraday biography for years because his story is so inspiring, rising from abject poverty to scientific greatness despite a lack of formal education. In this he reminds us of EE Barnard. Just a s Barnard was not an astrophysicist, so Farraday was not a mathematician yet he came intuitively to the notion of field theory which is so vital to modern physics. Also, like Barnard, he was a quite incredibly nice man. In this book I found everything I'd hoped for. http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0802714706

Recommended. Now I turn to James Clerk Maxwell, The Man Who Changed Everything. It was he who put Farraday's work onto a mathematical footing.

Olly

• 2 weeks later...

Great heads up. Always been a Faraday fan myself. True genius.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and I'm following it up with 'James Clerk Maxwell, the Man who Changed Evrything.' Basil Mahon. The stories overlap, of course. This is also a superbly well written and inspiring book. Two great men and two nice men. Hooke and Newton take note!!!

Olly

You've reminded me that probably 35 years ago or thereabouts I read a biography of Faraday and for some reason I have the impression that his professional relationship with Davy was somewhat troubled and that Faraday only really got the recognition he deserved once Davy was out of the way. Is that correct, or have I just made that up somewhere along the way?

James

Archived