NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Equatorial Platform for my Dobbo!

NightWatcher

Are there any folks here who have bought or made their own equatorial platform for a dobsonian mount? I am considering making one as a project, unless an affordable platform can be found!

I do have a question - Once correctly set-up and ready for use with telescope mounted, is the telescope fixed looking at one position of the sky? or can you swing the telescope around to any orientation as long as the platform is correctly set up?

I have one and use it a lot. You can look anywhere in the sky, as long as you don't want to track the same object for a long time you can just plonk it on he ground in a roughly northerly direction. You do need to ensure the ground you're using it on is fairly level or alternatively adjust the feet so its fairly level.

Thanks guys for your responses, I thought as much as it would be a rather useless tool otheriwse. This should make a fun projct. Any tips will be appreciated before I start!

i've changed the feet on mine so I can adjust the level of the base from the top whilst its still on the ground. The main reason is so I can do a precise alignment regardless of where I use the platform. Although a precise alignment isn't really necessary for visual use, it is for me when I'm using my nexus, (object locating system). The feet I've changed too have a flat screw driver head that can be turned from above.

This is another link you might find useful.

http://www.astrosurf.com/aheijkoop/Equipment/EqPlatform.htm

Also at the bottom it shows you the precise alignment method I use.

Good luck with it, I think you'll enjoy using it when its finished.

Archived