Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

which is better, vixen or skywatcher

Hello me again and i'm confused again , there is too many little options around ...

i've now made a big decision i want to be part of the webcam imaging clan (if there is such a thing) planetary mainly ..

i have most of the bits to start my route , a couple of converted webcams a netbook loaded with imaging and processing software ready for my first night,power pack with adapters so i can run the laptop and webcam for hours if needed

ok i have two set ups as you can see in my signature, my c8 would be ok for webcam imaging but the mount electrics dont work and the actual manual slow mo on the ra is quite jerky ,

i also have a meade goto 114 reflector which i have only just received bought second hand but the whole lot is useless the motors have failed and in all honesty the quality is sub standard so i will probably spilt this up and sell for parts.(if the seller doesn't give me a refund )

i'm seriously considering renewing my whole set up i'm looking at an ioptron goto mount one of the lightweight alt azimuth ones..

but unsure what to pair it up with ...

i like the vixen r130sf but also like the explorer 130pds

what differences do these have and would anyone of these be suitable for webcam imaging more than the other,

i'm looking for a light weight tube as i will eventually get a big old dob for viewing,,

is there any other better options for what i want to do that will suit the mount and i have missed in the £200 bracket for ota.

i know i'm a nag and this is the second time i've changed my mind on equipment in a month lol i have too much time on my hands sitting here with my busted ankle. all help greatly recieved..

I have always found Vixen stuff very well made. Having said that, I do not know this particular scope, so they might well be made in the same factory.

Indeed. Vixen stuff is generally a step above Skywatcher, but Vixen has outsourced some of their lower end manufacturing to China. The ED80S and the achromats are made in China (include the NA140), as well as some of the smaller Mak. However, I don't know anything about the R130SF, but the chances are it's also made in China.

would the skywatcher dps two speed focuser and shorter length actually make a lot of difference to imaging as it says in the write up or is it just manufacturer spouting off.

and i have read the vixen optics are really good, there is a review here : http://www.universetoday.com/35759/vixen-r130sf-newtonian-reflector-telescope-and-portamount-ii-right-in-the-comfort-zone/

it seems to be an independent review but im never sure of reviews unless they are from individuals that dont benfit from it , like members of forums lol..

Nice review of the Vixen. I was a bit amused at the OTA being called lightweight at just under 20lbs (maybe that was together with the mount), as my C8 OTA weighs in at a touch over 10lbs

I think both scopes have the same focal length, but from the review I read that the Vixen has its focal point well outside the tube, presumably for photography.

yes i did read that bit , oh dear it might come down to being colour co-ordination now (astro tart),, i do like the white tube as if i sell lord vader to fund this , i could replace him with a storm trooper lol...i just wish i could afford to keep them all . but sadly at this very moment in time i cant statutory sick pay doesn't pay the bills..

is there a dual speed focuser available for the vixen?

Given that you have a very good OTA in the C8, would getting a decent mount secondhand not be the better option? Stepping back from 8 to 5 inches is quite a leap. A secondhand EQ5 or similar would do the job for webcam imaging (my Vixen GP mount with just the RA motor copes, no worries). It is also a great setup for visual

unfortunatley i have no funds to buy an eq-5 ,or other ,and i have already owned the eq-5 but with my ankle likely to give me a slight disability in the future i had to sell it, it's only lighter alt-az mounts or dobs for me i cant battle with the angles and counter weights of equatorial ..

i also would be looking for a goto system just for tracking and running through the computer..

i know i have a cracking scope in the c8 and i had it at a very reasonable price but it doesnt seem usable for what i want to do now.. i just wish i could afford both..

i know what ya mean i have looked into them already as the 6/8 se goto mount would have been great , but like you say hard to come by , and again still no funds lol.. next year i will be getting a nice big dob for viewing , but being a gadget freak i would like to concentrate this year imaging as i think its very cool lol, and it does amaze me how much of an image can be produced from something so far away from us by a meagre web cam and some software,mind boggling, ..

i'm not talking proper prime focus dslr DSO stuff just our back yard , as for all the DSO stuff i'll wait till i get my dob just to view them..

yayy just got my edit button can repair all my spelling mistakes now lol

lol yes it could be , but i'm going to have a long hard think , because this set up is going to have to do me for my first years sky watching and want to do it right as i've messed up twice already lol.. it's an unfortunate situation for me sitting here all day with my leg in plaster with not a lot to do , i panic bought the last two scopes as i thought they were amazing deals but in hindsight when i got hold of them the 200p and eq 5 was too big and now i'm uncertain this c8 will be useful for what i want to do imaging... just wish injury claims were settled in a few weeks :evil:

Archived