NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging Plaedes and the like

Please can someone advise on the best ways to image Plaedes and the like. With my Canon 1100d, focal reducer and ED80 on an unguided HEQ5 Pro I only managed 6x30 secs lights and darks as time got short, so I am assuming firstly I should take a lot more frames?

I used DSS and GIMP/photodshop levels, curves etc but the images came out stangely "smudged"?

post-26268-0-85108600-1360011162_thumb.j

I have attached the jpeg just to try an illustrate the point.

So, how many frames should Ibe taking, what exposure time, top tips for processing gratefully received!

With very good Polar Alignment / Drift Alignment you should be able to achieve 5 minute unguided subs with the HEQ5Pro .

Simple answer is as many as you can get and as long as you can get . . . .

Processing I cannot comment on really as it's the one area that still baffles me , I tend to just tinker . . .

Some great basic PS tutorials here from Doug German . . . http://www.youtube.com/user/namregd

I think you could easily manage 3-5 min subs unguided, regarding numbers, I look at it like you get improvements in steps of 8, 16, 32, 64 etc, stack 64 good frames of 3 mins with darks and you will see the difference for sure. For 64 subs you may have to take a lot more to chuck a few out.

Having said that your picking up the dust as you are

And yes Doug German gets my vote

Archived