Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron 130eq-md : a few questions..

Bought on friday and read about setting up GEM mounts/etc, and seem to have got used to balancing it and suchlike.

I was out last night, but it was partially cloudy and probably not the best way to start!

anyhow, a few questions :

1 - Is there a bag that people use to store/transport the kit, i cant find anything anywhere about them.

2 - I did get a bit of a clear sky, but had issues with using the built in finder, seemed really difficult, is the kit one suitable or are there any better ones that others use?

3 - i was using the kit lens, and i have the Celestron AstroMaster Accessory Kit on its way. does anyone have any tips on viewing with the setup? what i saw was quite faint so likely was just not a good night to be out

4 - glasses, do you need to use them whilst viewing or can you use the lens focus by itself?

thanks

Glad you've got past the 'setting the mount up' phase. To try and answer your questions:-

1. A lot people just take the OTA ( the 'scope tube - Optical Tube Assembly ) off the mount, collapse the mount and sling everything in the back of the car, living room, whatever :grin: :grin: . You will find that a lot of folks keep their eyepieces and filters, etc. in a case but bags are not common.
  2. The RDF ( Red Dot Finder ) is a bit of a marmite thing. Some love them, others hate 'em. I really cannot get on with them. I've used a green laser pointer in the past but now use a Rigel Quickfinder to locate things. The Quickfinder is similar to a Telrad but has a smaller footprint and suits smaller 'scopes like the AstroMaster 130 very well.
  3. Which kit eyepiece were you using? The 20mm is naff, the 10mm is not so bad but neither really stack up against a good budget eyepiece. Last night was pretty good in Reading, but I would not know about where you are. Lack of detail can be caused by many things - seeing ( movement in the air ), visibility ( clarity of the air ), 'scope tube not cooled sufficiently ( causing air currents in the tube that 'wobble' the image ) and collimation ( ensuring that the optics are properly aligned in your 'scope ) are just some of the problems. Not forgetting poor eyepieces...... :grin:
  4. Whether you need glasses when you're viewing is down to you and the glasses you would normally wear. I wear reading glasses so do not use glasses with the 'scope, but if you wear prescription glasses you may need to use them. I'm sure someone else could give you a lot more advise on this one.

Above all, I'm sure you will find solutions to everything - the first night is always the most discouraging but as you learn you will get a lot more from your 'scope. I've only just mentioned some things here, but if you stick around and search the forums you will learn a lot more about them and work out your own way forward.

Hope this helps, and keep on trying......

Alan

ive got a telrad finder but the original red dot one works great for me...as long as youve calibrated it to match the main scope it should be ok.I wear specs but take them of for viewing,for some reason i see more that way ??..

as a glasses wearer - i sympathise with the red dot finder issue. The theory is you line your eye up wit the 2 red dots so they become 1 dot. then line that up in the general area of the sky with your other eye open. theoretically the red dot seen with your rght eye will overlay the star seen with your left eye. If the finder is aligned with the scope, then your target will magically appear in the eye peice.

hahahahahahahahahahaha :lipsrsealed:

problem one, getting your head in to position along the ota so that you can see through the finder is tough, even tougher if you want to see the dot through your glasses at teh same time. I then have the problem that my other eye isnow peering over the rim of my glasses so I cant see any stars at all!!!!

bleedin useless for glasses wearers. I'm sure its fine for those who have good vision or are long sighted, but us short sighted peeps either need a different finder or to buy glasses like Dennis Taylor used to wear!

i have just checked the finder and it was substantially out, so have aligned it now to the chimney of the furthest point i can see (a couple of streets!) but seems to be better now in that the finder will get the object in the lens and only minor tweeking gets it central.

probably why when i was pointing on the weekend it was hopeless!

Archived